watch the film
april 16 - 18
deadbird will be presented by Bartram’s Garden from april 16 through 18. you may self-stream the film on your own time.
visit the altar
april 16 - 18
you are invited to honor this body lost. this body leads us to many bodies past, present and future. can anybody help me hold this body? our grief can be holy if we let it.
friday, april 16: at 12pm the altar will be activated by devynn and juma. you are invited to witness this ritual.
april 16 - 18: the altar will remain open during all park hours. devynn and juma will be present to tend to the altar and all who engage it daily from 12pm-4pm.
sunday, april 18: at 4pm devynn and juma will close the altar. you are invited to witness this ritual as well.
may we insist on visualizing the accumulation of our grief and the accumulation of our ancestors as we understand that without this pause, we too will be lost. may we take a moment with our loved ones and for our own resilient living beings.
- 1. please find the following map with the location of a public grief altar
2. locate a meaningful item of your selection in honor of a loved one lost, or medicine for the collective moment. you are invited to photograph the offering and upload it to the online archive before arriving at the altar.
3. travel to this location
4. an altar tender will be present at the appointed times, although you are welcome to visit at any time during park hours
5. when you arrive to the altar, you are invited to place your item where you are called to do so.
you are invited to document your altar offerings and upload them to the archive.
- accessibility information:
(1) a ramped entrance to a paved path slopes down from the parking lot to the altar site. this entrance is approximately 0.1 miles from the site location. there is also a paved path that slopes upward from Bartram Drive up through Carr Garden to the altar site, approximately 0.2 miles from the site location. large portions of Bartram’s 50+ acre botanical garden can be explored via wheelchair, though some of their woodland paths should be used with discretion. here is a more detailed park map
(2) accessible restrooms and water fountain are located in the stable yard of the Welcome Center, approximately 315 feet from the site location. the restrooms in the stable yard each have a wheelchair-accessible stall, though the restroom doors are not automated
(3) questions about accessibility? Bartram’s is working to make their space accessible for all. if you have questions, comments, or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us: 215-729-5281 or email@example.com
the garden is accessible by the #36 trolley. parking is free and bicycle racks are also available. detailed driving directions are available here, or type “5400 Lindbergh Boulevard Philadelphia” into your GPS.
during warmer weather, you can also take a Schuylkill River cruise to Bartram’s Garden, to and from Center City, aboard Patriot Harbor Lines, LLC. click here for ticket information.