deadbird was presented by Portland Institute for Contemporary Art. you may self-stream the film on your own time.
- tickets to PDX
visit the altar
may 27 - 30, 2021
you are invited to honor this body lost. this body leads us to many bodies past, present and future. can anybody help me hold this body? our grief can be holy if we let it.
at PICA’s outdoor space on San Rafael Street
this altar will be tended by Maya Vivas.
friday, may 28: at 12pm the altar will be activated by Maya. you are invited to witness this ritual.
may 28 - 30: the altar will remain open during all PICA hours. Maya will be present to tend to the altar and all who engage it daily from 12pm-4pm.
sunday, may 30: at 4pm the altar will close. you are invited to witness this ritual.
may we insist on visualizing the accumulation of our grief and the accumulation of our ancestors as we understand that without this pause, we too will be lost. may we take a moment with our loved ones and for our own resilient living beings.
- 1. please find the following map with the location of a public grief altar
2. locate a meaningful item of your selection in honor of a loved one lost, or medicine for the collective moment. you are invited to photograph the offering and upload it to the online archive before arriving at the altar
3. travel to this location
4. an altar tender will be present at the appointed times, although you are welcome to visit at any time during PICA hours
5. when you arrive to the altar, you are invited to place your item where you are called to do so.
you are invited to document your altar offerings and upload them to the archive.
- accessibility information:
(1) the site is accessible from San Rafael street through a gate. there is a sidewalk with curb cuts leading onto a paved asphalt surface with a slight slope
(2) ADA accessible and gender-neutral restrooms and water fountain are located inside of PICA
(3) questions about accessibility? contact Mami at firstname.lastname@example.org
transit:click here for more information on covid safety and how to visit
PICA is located in the Boise-Eliot neighborhood of northeast Portland. we are close to bus lines 4, 6, 17 and 44. stops for the A Loop and B Loop Streetcar are approximately 0.3 miles from our building. the nearest max station is Rose Quarter Transit Center which is approximately 0.5 miles away. on-street parking is available. please be aware that we reside in a residential area and therefore ask that all PICA guests, staff, and audience members treat our neighborhood and neighbors, housed and unhoused, with the utmost respect.